Put individuals with agendas, criminal opportunists and militarized police in once place, and you have a recipe for civil unrest and violence.
So what can an innocent bystander do when caught up in a riot?
If you are on the street where a riot has started:
- Be prepared to defend yourself. Stay alert.
- If you are in a place that would attract looters, leave as soon as possible.
- If you are in a safe place inside a building, stay there. Locate the emergency exits in case you need to leave quickly.
- If you need to take refuge somewhere, make sure it will not attract looters and has more than one exit.
- Avoid looking like you have anything that someone would want.
- Take the first opportunity you can to leave and go home. If the police are involved, they will most often than not have at least one exit path for anyone wanting to run away.
If the riot is outside your home, or moving towards it.
- If the riot is outside of your home, lock yourself in and prepare to shelter-in-place. Be prepared to bug out and, if possible, have an alternate exit in mind.
- If you have received notice that a violent mob is headed towards your home, decide ahead of time what you would prefer to do: shelter-in-place or evacuate. This way you will have all the proper supplies on hand.
- If you stay in your home, be prepared to leave at any moment. Prepare a bug out bag.
- Have a quality fire extinguisher on hand.
- Be prepared to defend yourself/family/property. Have a plan.
- Connect with your neighbors and plan how you can mutually help each other. As a group, you are also more likely to be able to help out others who are more vulnerable, such as children and the elderly.
- Keep an adequate supply of emergency food (store at a minimum a 72-hour supply of food for your whole family) and a quality first aid kit. This is especially important if you live in a heavily populated urban area.
- Have a battery-powered radio available to keep you informed even if the power goes out due to vandalism.
This article (Social Tensions Continue to Rise – Here’s What To Do In Case of Civil Unrest or Rioting) was originally created and published by emergency food supplier Offgrid Outpost and is published here under a Creative Commons license with attribution to author Anna Hunt and OffgridOutpost.com. It may be re-posted freely with proper attribution and this copyright statement. Please contact email@example.com for more info.